Second, insist on six monthly weapons inspections, by certified inspectors, to ensure that the weapon is in good working order and that all safety gear is in good working order.
Finally, ensure that the licence is a tough one to get with checks on:
- Health (both physical and mental)
- Weapons knowledge
- Weapons maintenance
- First Aid training
- Range ability and accuracy
- Legal responsibilities
Well I think most of that's self explanatory. Maybe the amounts should be even higher - say $50 a round but with discounts if purchased and used at official ranges. At least with an idea like this you're covering two out of three potential weapons users. These are:
1. Normal people -They should be able to fit within this plans parameters and if they can't - tough.
2. Criminals - They're going to get a weapon anyway!
3. The insane - Well, if the health checks don't get them, maybe the cost will or some other area of the licencing regime.